Towers of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre ~ Jesus’ Execution, Burial and Resurrection
The Holy Sepulchre Church which is built over the site of Jesus’ execution, burial and resurrection. Southern front of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, old city of Jerusalem, Israel
The Holy Sepulchre Church which is built over the site of Jesus’ execution, burial and resurrection. 360° image click
Entrance to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
The entrance to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The current building was inaugurated by the Crusaders who rebuilt it in 1149. This site was
honored by first century Christians, buried by Hadrian in 135, identified by local believers in 326, covered by Constantine’s church by 335, which was then
destroyed by the Persians in 614, only to be rebuilt and destroyed again by the Muslim Caliph Hakim in 1009. The right (east) half of the main entrance to the church
was walled shut by the Muslims after the Crusaders lost Jerusalem in 1187.
The “Entrance Court” on the outside of the open door leading into the the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The “Entrance Court” can be located on the map below:
Floor plan of today’s Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Locate the “Entrance” (right above the “Entrance Court) and the unblocked door seen above.
Church of the Holy Sepulchre Jerusalem
The holiest Christian shrine in the world is situated on the Hill of Golgotha (skull hill), used to be an execution location outside the city walls. According to Christian gospels, and with compatibility to archeological discoveries, this is the real site of Jesus’ crucifixion, burial and resurrection.
The beautiful architecture of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is a combination of Crusader, Byzantine and Greek structures. In addition, five Christian communities share the Church today: the Roman Catholic, the Greek Orthodox, the Armenian, the Coptic and the Syrian Orthodox, each has its own part inside the church.
However, a big fire in 1808 caused a lot of damaged to the church, which had been repaired by the Greek Orthodox during the last century. The architecture of the church as it exists today is therefore a combination of Crusader, Byzantine and Greek structures.
Links: FULL HD Jerusalem;
Abu Shukri Restaurant Old City Jerusalem One of the most famous Hummus Restaurant in the old city located where the Via Doloroza meets Al Wad Road (63 Hagie Street).
The Cave of John the Baptist The cave is situated within the orchards of Kibbutz Tzuba, which is near the village of Ein Karem – the traditional birthplace of John the Baptist – west of Jerusalem (Luke 1:39-40).
The Cave of John the Baptist – Entrance The cave is believed to be the place where John the Baptist sought his first solitude in the ‘wilderness’ (Luke 1:80) and where he first practiced his baptism procedures.
The Four Quarters of the Old City
The Old City of Jerusalem is divided into four quarters:
The Muslim Quarter is one of the four quarters of the ancient, walled Old City of Jerusalem, the other three being the Jewish Quarter, the Christian Quarter and the Armenian Quarter.
The Christian Quarter is the most visited quarter of the Old City because it includes the site of Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection—the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. This quarter is full of churches and holy sites whose roofs, domes and facades are built close together.
The Church of All Nations , also known as the Church of the Agony or the Basilica of the Agony, is a Roman Catholic church located on Mount of Olives in Jerusalem, next to the Garden of Gethsemane. It enshrines a section of bedrock where Jesus is said to have prayed before the night of his arrest.